Friday, December 2, 2016

12-01-2016

Workout:

Throwing:
Warm Up
Flick Hucks (2-leg no step)
Low Backhand (wonder under, working on shape)
Backhand Pull (adding power)

Reading:

I listened to "Coach Wooden's Pyramid of Success" by John Wooden and Jay Carty.  I pulled this off of C's audible library and it was much more religious than I expected.  Since I wasn't expecting it, it was a little disconcerting at first.  But I really liked how John Wooden's coaching philosophy is completely and utterly consistent with his set of beliefs and values.  For instance, John Wooden believes in a certain definition of what it means to be successful (broadly) and what it means to be a good individual, and everything he teaches is based on those beliefs.  Everything he says and does reflects and reinforces this strong ethos.  Everything in his philosophy is close-knit and clear.

I think this is one of the things I respect the most about John Wooden.  The unwavering character and cohesiveness to his teaching (and coaching) style feels powerful and worth aspiring towards.

Notes:

- I wanted to work out with Champe today after practice, but the fields were closed and we had to cancel.  I would like to set up weekly 3-man marking and footwork sessions with my co-coaches when winter rolls around.  I think it would be a good thing for me to work on keeping my reactions as sharp as possible through these off-season months.

- I listened to this audiobook at 2x speed.  At first it felt extremely fast, but after about 30 minutes I got used to it and it felt pretty normal.  Normal to the point that I was considering trying to go faster by the end of my drive.  I think there is a bit of audio quality lost, but I don't consider that to be a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment