Tuesday, October 18, 2016

10-17-2016

Workout:

Throwing (230) - Pull Mechanics

No Workout - I am amped to squat tomorrow

Reading:

I started listening to "Start With Why" by Simon Sinek.  The title is pretty descriptive of what the book is like.  I don't hate it so far, but it feels extremely anecdotal and preachy.

Something I liked:
- Discussion of what it means to inspire and motivate by rallying around a single purpose or belief

Something I disliked:
- The author starts making claims about a "golden circle" that "has to be in balance" and then tries to tie it into the "symmetry present in nature" by talking about food chains and the golden ratio.

I can't stand it when people use "the symmetry in nature" as justification for random things.

Notes:

I went to "chicago ideas week" last night with C.  It was a good time.  There were 4 talks presented in succession that were all different:

- Abby Wambach talked about her memoir "Forward"
(Side note: This is a phenomenal book name choice)

- Bill Burnett and Dave Evans talked about the intersection of mechanical design and psychology

- Sebastian Junger talked about modern society, "tribes", human interaction, and never treating those upon who your life depends with contempt

- Jose Antonio Vargas talked about what it means to be an american, what the next 30 years will be like, and why we need to have more uncomfortable conversations

I felt like the show was worth the price of admission.

No comments:

Post a Comment