Monday, August 14, 2017

Purpose & Quick Hits

"Human beings are motivated by purpose, autonomy, and a drive towards mastery."  -James Kerr, Legacy

Recently I have been thinking about how to create a better, more driven environment within the culture of our team.  I have a few thoughts here or there about how to facilitate "autonomy" and "a drive towards mastery", but I want to dig a little deeper on "purpose".

I think on the surface, conveying purpose is pretty simple.  For pretty much any sports team you have a nice underlying purpose of "be the best team we can be".  It's accessible and easy to understand.  For other purposes, as a voice, you can say things like "This is important to us", and "This matters", when referring to different things you find important.  All this is great, but I feel like this isn't a particularly strong way to provide motivation.

I think this is because me saying "X is important" misses two major things:
1.  The listener may not know why X is important
2.  The listener definitely won't feel why X is important

When I'm saying "X is important" to the team, what I'm really trying to say is 1. X matters because of A, B, C reasons, and 2. I want us to feel a sense of urgency and importance for thing X.  So how do I convey important stuff on a deeper level?  Such that it really can be a motivator?

I think that a better way to provide purpose on a deep level is by using storytelling.  I'm not saying that every huddle should be storytime, but I think using stories as a medium has a lot of potential benefits.  For teaching, stories can be a good way to keep everyone engaged while explaining both the A, B, C reasons AND provide a sense of how we should feel about it.  For culture, having a verbal history told through stories is a critical piece of identity that can provide long-term motivation.

On using stories to improve engagement in teaching science:
http://www.npr.org/2017/08/11/541644222/tyler-dewitt-how-do-we-get-kids-hooked-on-science

On storytelling in general:
https://www.ted.com/playlists/62/how_to_tell_a_story

------
Quick Hits:

- To outplay, first you must outwork
- Power rankings are dumb / I'm not sold on Sockeye yet, and I'm not selling Ironside either
- On the flip side, I'm picking revolution to win worlds in the women's division
- The level of skill on display in the U20 YCC final was eye-opening
- Chicago needs more coaches, specifically skilled/elite coaches coaching high school.  How do you provide purpose to potential coaches?

2 comments:

  1. I think the Chicago high school scene is a victim of geography. The established teams are far away from where the highest density of skilled coaches are. Very hard to get a team started at schools in the city, especially when there is no one internal to get the ball rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with that. Another thought that I've heard is that the 9-5 work culture of people in Chicago means that people aren't as available to coach. I think the combination of those two things is the main barrier. But those things aren't likely to change anytime soon, right? So what's a path forward, in your opinion?

    ReplyDelete