Monday, August 28, 2017

08/26/2017

BFP Practice
- A bunch of 7v7 reps, played downfield cutter defense the whole time.

Notes:
The majority of the time my matchup was setting up as the initiating cutter from the back of a vert stack.  This meant I had a plenty of time to set up in my preferred position and to think about my defensive plan each rep.
- I made a specific effort to set up low and balanced with my hips somewhat parallel to the sideline.
- I knew that the offense was going against a mild upwind and that long standstill huck shots were likely to float and give me time to catch up and make a play.
- I knew that long upfield breakmark throws would likely be challenged on the mark or be difficult due to reset crowding.
- So with these things in mind I focused on taking away the underneath angle whenever possible, while trying to stay within 1 step of him leaving deep.
- I wanted to make sure to take away the deep strike whenever I saw a swing pass or incut completed, as these were the moments with the softest pressure and highest risk of me getting beat.  (see: Orbiting)

Takeaways:
- I felt like I could take away the biggest threat pretty consistently without doing all that much actual running.  Just by re-positioning constantly and with small movements I could take away important angles consistently.  Not that this was a low effort style, definitely the opposite.
- I feel like this would be way harder against an offensive cutter who was making harder moves and setting up their cuts better.  Basically if the cutter does a better job making me commit to defending real moves.
- There is a tangible feeling of the size of the field shrinking when you have a sense that the abilities of the thrower are limited.  I.E. if you see the thrower look off or badly execute a 30-40 yd away shot to an otherwise open target, this is a big indicator of what the main defensive priority should be.
- I am not sure exactly where I look when I am playing 1v1 defense and I'm not trying to peek at the disc.  A few times I tried to focus on my opponent's hips, but if I did it for the entirety of a point it wasn't conscious on my part.  I think this is important, and I want to know what my instincts are currently telling me.

- Baiting: I think the best opportunities for baiting are when you're able to get to a position that gives you a shorter/more direct path to the disc than your matchup.  This could mean taking the inside shoulder or maybe playing more defense from the breakside under position.  I also think you usually need some time to catch up, so it's a bit easier on longer moves and passes.
- I am not good at baiting.  One of the best players I know at baiting ds is Champe, maybe he can shed some light on how he breaks that down.

No comments:

Post a Comment