Monday, October 2, 2017

Club Lessons

I have played for a lot of different club teams.  All of them are tier 2 regionals mens teams from the Chicago area, and a lot of them have had overlap in terms of teammates or philosophy.  None of them have been particularly close to qualifying for nationals, but every season has had a different flavor and brought with it different lessons.  Here is a list of misc thoughts from each season:

Haymaker 2011 (practice player):
- This season taught me that sometimes club captains don't really know how to handle practice players and very likely won't email you back in a timely fashion (if at all), better to show up and talk in person.
- I learned that there were a ton of players out there who were better than me.

Haymaker 2012:
- I learned that people play club for a lot of reasons.  This team was a group of tight-knit friends.  This group was difficult for me to enter.
- I learned that most teams want to be great and set lofty goals, but only some teams want to work hard for those goals.
- I learned that a cultural expectation of being late to practice sets a very negative tone from day 1.
- I learned that I am noticeably slower and worse when I don't work out on my own (imagine that!).
- I learned that staying at people's houses on tourney weekends is way better than staying at dingy hotels.

Chicago Club 2013:
- I learned about the difference between a good team and a great team.  Here's a basic explanation:  Imagine 50 men's players who are all skilled, are athletic, and work hard.  Take the best 25 of those players and put them on one team, then take the next 25 players and put them on a second team.  Let's say the first team is great, the second team is good.  A game between these two teams at the club level will be something like 15-8.
- I learned that egos and internal friction can tear a team apart.
- I learned the importance of consistent coaching and vision.
- I learned that if I wanted to play ultimate seriously as an adult, I needed to take much better care of my body and my injuries.

2014
This year I did not play.  As I was recovering from my ACL injury, I traveled with nemesis and watched them play at a number of tournaments.
- I learned about self-discipline and taking care of my rehab.
- I learned that upsets happen all the time (i.e. nemesis taking down riot at PFF)
- I learned that there are a lot of different coaching styles out there.
- I slept on the floor of the 5ive warehouse, so I learned about that too.

BMU 2015:
- I learned that it's possible to have a club experience that is as fun if not more fun than college, depending on who's on your team.
- I learned that results being better than expected make early season problems seem distant and small.
- I learned that I could play an entire season and stay injury-free.
- I learned that tearing my ACL didn't end my playing career.

BMU 2016:
- I learned that manufacturing culture only works to a degree.
- I learned that success must be earned, never assumed, and that the wide world of ultimate is broader than I previously thought.
- I learned that relationships are key to trust, and relationships aren't automatic in the team setting.
- I learned that captaining can drain your soul if you let it.

SSL 2017:
- I learned that sometimes culture creates itself.  Especially with guys from ND.
- I learned that pain and joy don't only exist at the top levels of the sport.
- I learned that total detachment from the outcome can be a blessing and a curse.  In one sense, you are totally free, there is not pressure or responsibility.  In another sense, you rob yourself of the ability to achieve.  Shouldering the pressure of a lofty outcome goal takes courage.  Without goals, there is no risk, and there can be no joy in achievement of those goals.
- I learned about the cultural power of self-subbing.
- I re-learned there is no replacement for strong, clear leadership.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great insight: "I learned that results being better than expected make early season problems seem distant and small."

    The reverse also holds true - Results worse than your expectations make the successes of your season seem non-existent.

    It's easy to learn the first lesson but harder to learn its complement - which should be listed under chicago club 2013 and perhaps BMU 2016

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great point, I agree completely.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete