Monday, August 3, 2015

Possession Mechanics

I'm a big believer in trying to find better language to describe what happens on the ultimate field.  This is both for my own understanding and so I can communicate things better as a coach.  I like to think that the words I use matter, especially in how our team can pick up and understand concepts.

One definition I've been playing around with recently is a concept I like to call "Possession Mechanics".

I want Possession Mechanics be an umbrella term for what a player does physically leading up to a catch, during the catch, and immediately following the catch.  This would be fully inclusive of where a player is looking, how the catch is made, how the disc is gripped or re-gripped, deceleration and pre-throw footwork, and potentially even how the throw is delivered.  I think grouping these things together and isolating them is a nice way to start to design drills and start to improve in these areas.

Here is an example of what Possession Mechanics would include:
1.  Catch is about to be made (eyes on disc)
       - Is there defensive pressure?
       - Can I prep my footwork?
       - How do I need to catch the disc?  Is it at my chest?  Is it low, do I need to bid?
2.  Catch is made (eyes on disc) - optional (footwork prep for priority 1 throw)
       - Am I catching with two hands?  One hand?
       - What is my throwing priority 1 going to be?  
       - Can I catch in a way that makes that regrip faster?
       - Do I have time to prep my footwork for the throw?
3.  Grip or Regrip is made (eyes on priority 1 target)
       - Disc is in my hands.  How do I regrip it quickly enough?
       - Where is my priority 1 target?  Will they be open by the time I am ready to throw?
4.  Throw is made to priority 1 target if open (eyes on priority 1 target)
etc.

Possession Mechanics matter because they will affect how an offense is able to use timing and spacing.  The timing effect is seen in how quickly the catcher can be ready to find the target (eyes) and execute the throw (footwork and body).  Spacing should dictate where the catcher looks next, and will vary widely based on situation and offensive structure.

I think that good possession mechanics allow a cutter to catch and throw in flow better.  I think that good possession mechanics are a critical fundamental for handlers.  I think a team with good possession mechanics can find soft spots in defenses more easily by being ready to attack weakness as much as possible.

When it comes to improving at possession mechanics, I think it's easier to break scenarios down into some of the possible [catch]/[deceleration]/[turn and throw] categories.  Without getting into offense-specific needs too much, I think the 5 categories I would pick are: power position, around swing, cermak/dishy, breakside under, openside under.  Each of these scenarios can be pretty easily made into a drill, with the intent of getting reps and polishing mechanics.  For example, a power position drill might look like the picture below, with the red person cutting upline and the blue person throwing the upline pass.


The focus of this drill would then likely be on executing the power position catch and throw quickly, with balanced footwork, and a well executed throw.

I think that possession mechanics is a nice way to think about how players manage the disc.  I think it makes this piece of the game a bit easier to digest and offers another way to look at some of the pieces that go into breakside continue and give-go mechanics.

No comments:

Post a Comment